Recent statistics show that up to 30% of older adults may fall in a given year. Additionally, about 20% of individuals who experience falls require medical attention and below 10% of the patients will break a bone. These damages result in injury, pain, and loss of mobility and are consequently life-threatening.
According to our comprehensive study, here are the action steps you can take to prevent falls:
- Ask your pharmacist to evaluate all the prescriptions you’re taking and identify if drug interactions can make you unsteady on your feet.
- Discuss with your doctor about getting a fall assessment by a physical therapist. Physical Therapy in Ohio can help you regain the strength to keep you upright and stable when walking.
- Visit an ophthalmologist to have your vision checked. Clearer vision decreases your risk of tripping into unseen or unnoticed objects on the floor.
- Include nutritious foods in your diet. Food requirements are a balanced amount of whole grains, protein, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, and omega-3-rich unsaturated fats in a minimal amount.
- In addition to regular walking/running or other kinds of aerobics, try resistance bands or light weights to train and exercise. Muscle strength helps keep you active and upright.
- Have a podiatrist check your shoes to avoid poorly fitted shoes or shoes without the right support.
- Have a family member or a home health aide look for home hazards that you might be overlooking. With a cluttered and unorganized home, objects are more likely to catch your foot by accident and will let you take a tumble.
- Have grab bars and supports installed in your bathrooms, bed, sofas, and stairs to provide you with support.
In addition to addressing this prevalent issue, Angels Care Home Health Service LLC has been serving many people in Ohio and its surrounding areas by offering health care services in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Reach us at 614-367-7724 for more information.